Recipe and photos courtesy of Layla Atik
Visit her blog at: http://brunchtimebaker.com
Author: Layla Atik
- 6 ounces jumbo pasta shells (about 12-14 shells)
- 2 cups loosely packed spinach
- ½ lb ground beef
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- ½ cup diced onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt+pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a big pot boil 6 cups of water and cook shells al dente style (according to package), add salt and pepper to taste.
- While the shells are boiling Heat a large pan or skillet. Add the ground beef (no oil needed) and brown for 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped onions, garlic, basil, oregano, tomato paste and salt + pepper to taste. Simmer for 2 minutes then add the spinach and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- After the shells are cooked (be careful not to overcook because they will start to break apart) and the meat sauce is ready put the mixture in the shells like a tablespoon and half into each one line them up in across a 13x19 casserole dish. Pour the marinara sauce over the top, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese and cook for 15 minutes at 400°F.
1. I switched out the ground beef for ground turkey, and I used a whole pound instead of half.